This recipe should probably be called My Grandmother’s or My Mom’s Baked Mac & Cheese…. but I’m going to steal the thunder momentarily. My two favorite things in life are probably cheese and any type of carb so it makes sense that my all time favorite dinner/lunch/breakfast/snack is mac & cheese. I’m not talking about that gooey Kraft kind made from a box, but baked mac & cheese. The kind with the super crisp top & melted cheese throughout all the macaroni. My grandmother would make this every holiday…. like every single holiday and every single holiday I would load my plate full of this holy food. My mother then acquired the recipe and made it even better. How? I have no idea. She literally makes it the same way, but oh my goodness. Maybe she leaves it in the oven longer, maybe she throws in a dash of motherly love. WHO KNOWS? It’s delicious. That’s all I cared about. Finally, I became an adult and my mother taught me how to make this dish. It is probably the easiest dish to make and definitely the most delicious. I’ve added my only little spin to it (hello, garlic) and it’s always a hit with my friends. So today I decided to let you all in on our little family recipe. I hope you all enjoy this dish as much as I do (which is A LOT!)
What you need:
- 9 x 13 deep baking dish
- 1 box of macaroni (usually equivalent to 1lb)
- 16 oz of sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- salt & pepper
- chopped up garlic (like a pinch)
What you do:
What you do in way more detail:
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F
- Boil the macaroni as it says on the box. While that is cooking, go ahead & grease your pan with butter (or olive oil)
- Once the macaroni is cooked, drain all the water and set aside to cool for a little bit.
- Chop up your garlic and set to the side.
- Divide your macaroni in half and place one half into the greased dish.
- Add your garlic to the dish & mix it into the macaroni to distribute the flavor.
- Load on 8oz of cheese. I usually purchase 2 bags of shredded cheese (whatever is on sale) and use 1 bag for each layer. If you buy in bulk, then this is equivalent to about 2 cups.
- Throw in some salt & pepper before adding the other half of your macaroni. Make sure everything is evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- Add the rest of your cheese on top.
- Pour the 1/2 cup of milk evenly throughout the dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs (or both!!) on top.
- By now your oven should be preheated so pop the dish in the oven & cook for about 45 minutes or until the top is a crispy golden brown.