In my lifelong goal of living minimally, but fully, I have decided to tackle one of the most ridiculous rooms in my apartment- the bathroom… I love beauty products. From masks to lip products to cleansers to shampoo to body wash, etc. The list is forever long. However, I realized how cluttered my tiny bathroom was and how I actually was overwhelmed with the amount of “stuff” I had shoved into the one cabinet hovering dangerously above the toilet.
Starting last year, I began to shorten my beauty routine. Shortly after I posted my review about Glossier (read here), I began to really cut back on my makeup. A little mascara here, a little concealer there, a swipe of Generation G in Crush, and I was done. I began to incorporate this into my cleansing routine. Yes, I fell susceptible to Glossier’s Milky Jelly cleanser. No, I promise I am not sponsored by Glossier. I am literally just obsessed with this minimal, simple, beautiful, woman-owned company.
So what can you do to de-clutter and enhance your bathroom space?
Here’s what I did:
- Throw away everything you haven’t used in the past 3 months. I’m talking eye shadow palettes, mascara, lippies, masks. First of all, they’re probably already bad (yes, makeup has an expiration date). Second, if you haven’t used it in the past 3 months, when will you really use it? (unless it’s winter and your summer moisturizer really isn’t cutting it with the harsh cold winds)
- Figure out your holy grail of cleansers. At my worst, I had about 5 cleansers. My face was crying for help. There is no reason to have 5 cleansers. In addition to my Milky Jelly cleanser which I use all the time, I have an exfoliating cleanser which I use in the shower several times a week. My favorite right now is Alba’s Hawaiian Detox Scrub. I’ve never had a scrub that has left my face so smooth yet so hydrated. It’s a perfect compliment to the gentle Milky Jelly.
- Limit yourself to one shampoo, one conditioner, & maybe a hair mask. I don’t use hair masks because my hair is actually pretty healthy & moisturized. Maybe you already only have 1 set of shampoo/conditioners, but I actually had like 3 different conditioners and 2 different shampoos, and goodness knows how many masks at my worst. Why? I don’t know. They all smelled nice. Did I use them for specific reasons? Nope. Granted, if you have an anti-dandruff shampoo, you can probably keep that (although the best cure is to actually not wash your hair every day.) Pro-tip: wash your hair every 3 days, condition first, shampoo second. You’ll have super voluminous, soft, healthy hair in about a month.
- Figure out your every day make-up look and throw away everything that doesn’t make the cut. When it came down to it, I realized I only used one type of mascara, despite having about 5 hiding in my cabinet. I didn’t use eyeshadow anymore (except one that Alex sent me for christmas which I am obsessed. Colourpop, I see you and your perfect eyeshadows.) I definitely didn’t use my eyeshadow palettes. I didn’t use eyeliner anymore, so why were there 3 used ones taking up space? Now, if you use all this stuff, keep it! Obviously. But if you haven’t used that palette you bought at Sephora 2 years ago, you might want to give it to a friend (if you haven’t touched it. Don’t share used makeup) or chuck it.
- It’s okay if you have one thing you’re obsessed with. Or 2. For example, I love my liquid lipsticks (for those “fancy” days…) and I love facial masks (I use them about 3 times a week to support a face that requires no foundation anymore, hooray!). Therefore, all the extra space I have now created by eliminating the things I didn’t use in the past 3 months or in my daily routine can be filled with things I actually used.
TLDR: Know your routine, your skin, yourself. Eliminate everything that just doesn’t make sense or you haven’t used in years (literally, years).
Disclaimer…. obviously if you’re really amazing at makeup and that’s your thing, then hold onto those 25 tubes of mascara and your fancy eye shadow and your super awesome skills. Fun fact: I am definitely one of those people who could watch YouTube makeup videos ALL DAY. I am not so secretly jealous of their skills. Hence, me embracing that no make up make up look… *cries*
Get 10% off your first Glossier purchase & simplify your beauty routine: